Monday, May 20, 2013

Navy Federal 5k Recap!

I had an absolutely MARVELOUS weekend!

 

A lot of it goes to my husband, because he worked extremely hard all week, then....

Took me to MY favorite resturant, Olive Garden, to carb up.
Got me my favorite ice cream.
Woke up early on Saturday to cheer me on and take care of the little tyrant.
Took us all to the beach.
And Sunday spent all day at home devoted to his family and relaxing, only to round off the night taking me to pick out a movie at Redbox that I wanted to see...

He doesn't get enough credit. From anyone, including me. Even though we want to punch each other in the throats sometimes, we still have an enormous amount of love for one another, that I doubt could be paralleled.

I'll start with Friday night.



We made our way to Olive Garden, where I had the Spicy Shrimp Yummy Pasta. (Can't remember the last word. Started with a V.)

Light tomato sauce, spinach, shrimp, red peppers, tiny bit of bacon. Wasn't super spicy. New FAV!

Brant rolled his eyes when I took a picture of our food...

I only ate half and saved the rest for Saturday evening. YUMMY!

Then of course we stopped by Marble Slab and got some more yummies. Mickey got her first personal icecream from there, chocolate with rainbow sprinkles and marshmellows on top. We made a mess since we both eat chocolate like barbarians...

Brant is such a good photographer!

We shot home since she was on a very horrible sugar high and tired. Her and I jumped in the bubble bath. She quickly passed out, along with Daddy at 9:30.

And I started my race prep! :)



I layed out all that I would need.



Stretched long and slow.

And used a can of garbonzo beans to roll out my sore muscles since I don't have a foam roller.



I was asleep by 11:00ish, and up by 6:20.

Bright eyed and bushy tailed.

I ate my breakfast. A bagel thin with peanut butter and bananas. Drank my Pro-Sculpt. and packed everything into the car. I had to wake up Mickey and shove food in her face and we were out the door!

This race wasn't as crowded as McGuire's which was WONDERFUL!

There were about 500 people doing the walk and run.

Before the race. About 75-80 out.


We lined up at the start line and pretty much just started running. :)

I finished my first mile in 8:34. Which was a little fast for me. I was already dripping sweat and rocking out to I Miss the Misery by Halestorm. I replayed that over and over during miles 1 & 2.

I was at mile marker 2 at 17ish minutes which made me confident! But I could feel the pain starting in my side. I knew I had started too fast. I should have held back in the beginning a little.

I ran past Brant & Michaela at about 2.5 miles. She was hysterical after I ran past. That girl I tell ya.

I'm so hot in my compression socks :)


The rest of the race really hurt. I knew I started to fast. I knew I should of held back but I HAD to finish strong. So the last straight away, with the finish line in front of me, I did what any insane person would do, SPRINT.
About a quarter mile maybe a little less.
I sprinted.
Thought about crying since my side hurt so bad.
But didn't.
Then I saw my time. 26:25 was flashing infront of me.
So for the next couple seconds I cursed and ran harder.

My final time was 26:32. I had made my goal. And that was ALL that mattered!

We stayed for the awards and I was surprised I got FIRST in my age group! 15-19. There were only 8 in that group but I was okay with that!

She loves Kitty Cats and chased this one EVERYWHERE!


I got a nice little coffee travel mug.

 
This might have happened afterwards... Nonfat, sugar free, Mocha iced coffee from The Drowsy Poet. :) I was in LOVE with the straw :)


I thought about crying here too... I started my running at 45 minutes doing a 5k. In March I weighed 180lbs and ran it in 30:11. And just Saturday I ran it in 26:32. Almost 19 whole minutes shaved off, and over 45lbs gone.

Riding my high :)

Every run I do I feel a little bit of pain. An ache. A cramp. A pull. But when I feel that I push harder. Not just because I am confident what my body can do, but because I know what my body HAS done. I enjoy pushing the limits. Feeling my body give into my heart. And making the changes I need in order to live a happy and full life.

I've set new goals. I do every single day. Today my goal is to go through the day without complaining about anything. And tomorrow I'll set a new one. For running though, I plan on hitting a 24:00, 5k. That's my next goal. I'm giving myself 2 months to do it. Not just because I'm confident what my body can do, but because I know what my body has done.

Have a Happy Monday!
 
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment