Friday, May 17, 2013

Surprise! TGIF! :)

Happy Friday Everyone!!!!

I am thrilled that it is FINALLY the weekend. This week has been a stressful one. Hubby's been working super hard, I've been mentally jacked by my Calculus II course, and Mickey had her bouts of whiney-ass.

But it's Friday! Which means it was BodyPump DAY!!!

Brant enjoyed (thought I was insane) when I did my happy dance this morning in my kick-butt tank from Ruffles With Love!

Coming to terms with the fact that I have the upper body of a linebacker and short legs with mean muscle :) Neanderthal? I think so.

Then he left for work and Short Stack and I headed to the gym to "play with the kids".

I tore it up, of course. In my head I did at least! :)

There is NO better feeling than sweat dripping from your elbows as you squat it out to some awesome music. Try it sometime!!!

After class I grabbed my granola bar and walked for 15 minutes, because this chick is running her SECOND 5k tomorrow!!! Woot! Woot!

Surprise!

I'm used to running 5k's now so I don't think I need a lot of race day prep, but here is a list of what I do do.

Night before:

Drink LOTS of water.

Eat a larger than my usual portion of CARBS.

Make the husband give me a massage. :)

Lay my clothes out for the race.

Stretch before bed.

Get EIGHT hours of sleep.

Race Day:

Eat a HEALTHY breakfast. With fruit, carbs, and protein.

Drink water like a fool!

Eat again 30 minutes before running.

Keep muscles warmed up by jogging in place, doing jumping jacks, running in circles.

PEE as close as you can to the start time! (no stopping to tinkle!)

Ignore the immediate race hype.

Set my pace. Set a goal.

During the Race:

Crank some tunes and jam out. :)

Drink when thirsty.

Focus on the horizon. AND a nice filling meal afterwards.

Check watch/phone occasionally. Don't get hung up on time.


My goal this race is to keep a 9 minute mile pace. Which is easy for me as long as I stay warm in the beginning. So that puts me at a goal of 25-27 minutes.

I never would have thought this girl still had so much farther she could go. Can't wait to see what I'll look like next year at this same race. :)


And to think I started at a 45 minute 5k in December. Moved onto a 30 minute 5k in March. And KNOW I can do a 27 minute 5k today.

You can do anything. All you have to do is start. :)
 
Have a happy, healthy weekend!!! :)
 
Wish me luck!
 
Maggie



2 comments:

  1. Hey Maggie-
    I wanted to tell you that your blog is very inspiring and good luck tomorrow! Hope you get your goal and then some!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Ashley!!! Sorry I didn't respond sooner! :) I'm happy to know my weekday ramblings help someone :)

    ReplyDelete